To prepare the dishes:
1 teaspoon butter & 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
115g dark chocolate
55g caster sugar
2 whole medium eggs + 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
80g plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Whipped cream & cocoa powder to serve
- Oven: 200°C / 400°F/ Gas Mark 6, pre-heated
- Fan oven: 180°C
- Grease the dishes with butter and dust in cocoa powder.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water, taking care not to let the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Stir in the liquid coffee and vanilla extract.
- Whilst continuously whisking, slowly drizzle the melted chocolate and butter into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Sift in the flour with the cocoa powder and combine.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared petite casseroles. Bake for 12-14 minutes. The cakes are done when they just form a breaking crust, the mixture should be firm on top but still runny in the middle.
- Once cooked allow the cakes to stand for a minute or two. Serve warm with a spoon of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa.